A hydrogen breath test is a non-invasive procedure, which is applied in case of abdominal pain diagnostics, sensation of excessive stomach gas, flatulence, diarrhoea or constipations. Those ailments can be results of small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), malabsorption or intolerance of carbohydrates (lactose, fructose, sucrose or others). It can cause excessive, abnormal fermentation in intestines with gas production. The gas is mainly composed of hydrogen and methane. The human organism do not produce hydrogen by itself. Its appearance in intestines is a result of carbohydrates’ fermentation caused by bacteria. Hydrogen gets through circulatory system to pulmonary alveolus and is eliminated from the organism through respiratory system.
Hydrogen breath test is not refunded by NFZ. It is charged according to a current price list.
Indications for the procedure
Diagnostics in case of:
- Abdominal pain,
- Abdominal discomfort,
- sensation of excessive stomach gas,
- frequent diarrhoea,
- frequent constipations.
Contraindications to the procedure:
- Diagnosed or suspected hereditary fructose intolerance (contraindication to Hydrogen Breath Test with fructose and sorbitol)
- Diagnosed or suspected postprandial hypoglycaemia.
- Antibiotic therapy (in 4 weeks’ time before the test)
- Colonoscopy (in 4 weeks’ time before the test)
- Irrigoscopy (in 4 weeks’ time before the test)
- Fluoroscopy of the small bowel (in 4 weeks’ time before the test)
- Ileostomy (except diagnostics of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth – SIBO)
How long does the test take?
Hydrogen Breath Test takes from 120 to 180 minutes depending on the study protocol and given carbohydrate. The result of the test with its interpretation is ready directly after the procedure.
NOTE! There is no possibility of doing the test for more than one carbohydrate (sugar) at the same time. There have to be at least two days’ break between the tests.
How to make an appointment? ?
To make an appointment for Hydrogen Breath Test call: +48 787 65 39 80